UHIN Standards Committee Charter
The purpose of the Standards Committee is to develop administrative, technical and billing standards and specifications based on existing federal and state regulation with input from the Clinician Committee and other Stakeholders as appropriate.
The Standards Committee has authority to conduct business within its scope of responsibility. The committee is empowered to:
- Create local Standards and Specifications for electronic exchange of healthcare data
- Standardize process for streamlining business workflow for electronic exchange
- Respond to National Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) and Operating Rules (OR)
- Review and make comments on proposed National standards
This meeting is an open forum meeting for any interested stakeholder to attend and provide input into the agenda items.
The Standards Committee shall nominate a candidate for Standards Chair for Board appointment, who shall represent the Committee’s interests on the Board. The Chair’s term of office is two (2) years. At term, the chair’s organization alternates from payer to provider organizations.
Each voting committee member will be a representative of a Board member in good standing. Voting members are assigned to the committee by the organization’s UHIN Board Member. The vote for this committee belongs to the individual, not the organization. Votes may be transferred to proxies with prior notice to the UHIN Standards Coordinator.
A quorum of voting committee members must be present before a vote can be held. A list of voting members is maintained by the UHIN Standards Coordinator.
Standards Committee votes seek consensus. If any voting member votes against the motion, the motion should return for further discussion. In any vote for a motion where there are abstentions, the “for” votes must meet the minimum quorum for the motion to pass.
The Committee will meet monthly, with authority to convene additional meetings or subcommittees, as circumstances require. All committee members are expected to attend each Standards meeting, in person or remotely. Meeting agendas will be prepared and provided in advance to members, along with appropriate briefing materials. Minutes will also be prepared and distributed.
The UHIN Standards Committee will:
- Create/Recommend Standards and Specifications via a consensus process to the UHIN Board of Directors
- Participate and provide input into Notice of Proposed Rule Making initiatives and Operating Rules
- Recommend solutions to community exchange and processing issues for administrative exchanges
- Support and implement all Standards and applicable Specifications
- Create yearly goals which coincide with the participating organizations strategic initiatives and UHIN’s mission statement
Regularly report to the Board of Directors about Committee Standards and Specification recommendations for final approval. UHIN will submit all Board Approved Standards to the Utah Insurance Department and the Utah Department of Health for inclusion into state rules R590-164 and R380-070.
- Perform other activities as requested by the Board of Directors
- Review and assess the adequacy of the Committee charter and objectives